Commemorative Stone Fragment of the Second Legion, Balmuildy
The lower left hand fragment of a commemorative stone of the Second Legion, found built into a byre at Balmuildy before 1698. It is 25cm by 48cm in size.
The inscription reads: IMP C T AELIO HADR ANTONINO AVG PIO) (P] P LEG II A[VG SVB] Q LOLLIO VR [BICO] LEG AVG PR PR [F]. The full inscription would translate as : "For the Emperor Caesar Titus Aelius Hadrianus Antoninus Augustus Pius, father of his country, the Second Augustan Legion built this under Quintus Lollius Urbicus, the Emperor's propraetorian legate".
Lollius Urbicus was Governor of Britannia from AD138/9 to c.AD144, and the discovery of this stone confirmed the location and origin of the Antonine Wall.
Hunterian Museum GLAHM F19