The Forth Bridge represents the pinnacle of 19th-century bridge construction and is, without doubt, the world’s greatest cantilever trussed bridge.
It is a 2.53 km long 110 m high railway bridge spanning the estuary of the River Forth.
When opened in 1890 it had the longest bridge spans in the world, a record held for 27 years. It was also the world’s first major steel structure, and today remains a potent symbol of Britain’s industrial, scientific, architectural and transport heritage.
The Bridge is a working estuary crossing, and is busier than ever, having been restored during an ambitious twelve-year refurbishment programme which was completed in 2011. The Forth Bridge was inscribed onto the World Heritage List on 5th July 2015.